With online shopping on the rise, warehouses and storage facilities have been more scrutinised for their cleanliness as consumers think about the places where their items are stored, processed, and delivered.
Even if your business does not handle online shopping deliveries, warehouse maintenance is still essential to all businesses and operations.
Warehouses and other large facilities often get daily operations that never stop, especially during recent years wherein logistics warehouses are at the forefront of consumer trends. Dirty warehouses can make homes for a multitude of pests and harmful organisms like mould and mildew.
Warehouse Cleaning Checklist
Keeping your warehouse clean should be a priority for you, especially when your business deals with perishable goods, consumable goods, and raw materials that can easily be damaged by pests roaming around the facilities. Dirty warehouses can also host mold, which can be harmful to the health of workers, and can pass on to the items stored in these warehouses.
A warehouse cleaning checklist will help you keep track of all the areas in your warehouse that you need to clean daily, weekly, and monthly. In this guide, we’ll provide you with a warehouse cleaning checklist for every area of your warehouse, so you can be sure to clean every inch of your storage facilities.
Daily Warehouse Cleaning Checklist
Most areas of the warehouse should be cleaned everyday. The main floors should be swept and mopped clean to prevent dust from settling into the crevices of the walls and floors. Daily warehouse cleaning should be part of daily operations, not just extra work that needs to be done.
Daily warehouse cleaning consists of cleaning the high contact areas, like floors, equipment, and any countertops that are frequently used. When dealing with perishable or consumable goods, daily sanitizing is also a must for warehouse cleaning.
- Sweep or vacuum the warehouse floors.
- Mop the floors or Use a steam mop to sanitise the warehouse floors and walls.
- Sanitise high contact surfaces: Light Switch, Door Handles, Shelves and Pallets, Trolleys and Trolley Handles, Keys and Grab bars
- Wipe down countertops with disinfectant solution.
- Empty garbage cans and waste baskets.
- Wipe down equipment and check for safety and condition.
- Check the condition of shelves and storage areas.
- Clean bathrooms.
- Wipe countertops, sinks, and high contact areas.
- Scrub toilet with toilet brush and cleaning solution.
- Mop floors with disinfectant solution.
- Refill toilet paper, tissues, and soap.
Weekly Warehouse Cleaning Checklist
Areas where daily cleaning could not be performed can do away with a weekly cleaning schedule instead. Lighting fixtures, high ceilings, and other hard to reach areas would benefit from a weekly cleaning, especially as they don’t come into contact with most workers and items that go in and out of the facilities.
For our weekly cleaning checklist, we’ll be tackling areas like the light fixtures, ducts, and ceiling fans or air conditioning units. Other tasks, like restocking much-needed supplies, can be done weekly to provide ample resources for workers to operate their jobs.
- Reorganise shelves and pallets.
- Do weekly maintenance on equipment and machinery.
- Check and restock supplies when necessary.
- Dust off light fixtures, high ceiling areas, grab bars, and door frames.
- Dust off shelves and wall partitions.
- Wipe down windows and curtains.
- Polish glass fixtures: Glass wall partitions, Glass windows, Glass doors and walls
- Check and confirm condition of fire escapes, fire extinguishers, emergency exits, sprinkler systems, and other emergency features.
Monthly Warehouse Cleaning Checklist
Since warehouses are constantly in operation, with some warehouses operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, not all cleaning can practically be done daily or weekly. Deep cleaning, steam cleaning, and exterior cleaning will take some time to complete, which can put a damper on the day-to-day operations of the warehouse facilities.
Monthly warehouse cleaning does not only clear off grime from typically hard to reach areas, it also gets deep into warehouse fixtures, and gives the cleaner a schedule to clean the exterior components of the warehouse for a top to bottom cleanliness.
- Deep clean floors: Shampoo carpeting, Steam clean hard surface floors
- Scrub the walls clean.
- Change upholstery covers.
- Check sinks and drains for signs of mold and mildew.
- Avail of pest control services.
- Hose down the exterior of the building.
- Clean windows and door frames.
- Clean pathways and walkways.
- Check and clean entry docks, loading docks, and steps.
- Clean signages and outdoor fixtures.
Cleaning and Maintenance Tips to Remember
When cleaning large areas, it is important to remember that not all areas may be cleaned in one day. Large areas are notorious for trapping in dirt and hosting pests due to the ample amount of space available. Always make sure you have a cleaning checklist with you to ensure you don’t miss a single area in your facilities.
- Wipe off any spills on floors, walls, and furniture upholstery immediately to prevent staining.
- Protective floor coatings should be reapplied every two months, or any time floor coatings have been damaged or dulled.
- Dead light fixtures should be replaced once the light bulb has started to falter.
- Improve air quality by cleaning air conditioning filters, or using air purifiers around the facilities.
- Clean up clutter to prevent making a home for pests like rodents and roaches.
- Avoid using fabric window blinds as these are difficult to clean. Opt instead for venetian window blinds made from plastic, resin, or wood.
- Check safely on shelves and pallets. Replace shelves and pallets that have worn down from use or damage.
- Clean the office in the facilities alongside the rest of the areas.
- Call for professional services for proper and thorough cleaning.
Call Professional Cleaning Services
Commercial spaces like storage facilities are tough to clean. When you’re busy with your day-to-day operations, it’s easy to lose track of the cleaning tasks that need to be done. In this case, calling on a professional cleaning service will be more convenient than cleaning the entire warehouse yourself.
Professional cleaning services at Luce Office serve all types of commercial spaces, from small closet-type offices, to large commercial storage facilities and warehouses. Our expert cleaning crew are equipped with the knowledge and tools to ensure your space is as spotless as it can be!
Book an appointment today, and let us find you a fitting schedule that won’t interfere with your daily operations. Check out our website, or go through our blog for more information.